Saturday, May 23, 2015

The Internet of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Part 1




As recently as a year ago I was thrilled about the mass market traction being gained by "The Internet of Things". I revamped my blog to talk about making a ZigBEE coffee pot!!! However, products I have discovered in the subsequent months have caused me to re-evaluate my stance.

The Internet of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is a series of posts aimed to document specious examples of modern buzzword consumer tech. Don't worry about holding onto your hat, surely we can find a maker to 3D print an IoT enabled wearable to replace it.

 /***********************************************************************/

Throughout history, the drive of technology has been improving the quality of life. A common aim to achieve this objective is taking a tedious or labor intensive task, and handing it over to a machine. From dishwashers, to calculators, to Roombas, the examples are as varied as they are endless.

The classic examples stand as such because the cause and effect is universally obvious. I spend too much time doing dishes, I will invent a machine to do it for me. I do not like long division, I will invent a machine to do it for me. I get too many scratches giving my cat piggy back rides, I will invent a machine to do it for me.

The description of the Quirky Refuel does its best to convince you that it has a place among these indispensable, life improving products:

"Nothing puts the kibosh on a cookout faster than an empty propane tank. With Refuel, you'll never get caught off guard by said BBQ bummer again. This super smart propane tank gauge connects to the Wink app on your mobile device so no matter where you are, you’ll always know when it's time to refuel."

My red flag for IoT devices is anything along the lines of "...no matter where you are, you'll always know when it's time to..."

In this specific context, what does that mean? I am out to dinner with my wife on a random Tuesday, and am suddenly possessed by the need to know how much propane I have? I am debugging firmware at 2pm the next day, when OMG HOW MUCH PROPANE DO I HAVE??!? It's Friday, 5am at the gym. I am unloading the squat press machine. The 45 pound plate tugging on my arm... this feels familiar... OMGWTF IS MY PROPANE TANK LESS THAN HALF FULL ?!!!??!!???????

I cook outside a lot, and just fail to see how having this information persistently at my fingertips would ever be useful. In the absolute best case scenario, I am shopping for things I plan on cooking within the next hour or two, wonder if I am good on propane, check my phone and discover that I am not... and have to drive back home to pick up my tank and go get it refilled??? I suppose this solves a problem for people who both cannot figure out if they can make it through a cook by just picking up the can, AND are extraordinarily concerned about both completing their cook without interruption and optimizing trips to the propane store.

So if eliminating these 5 second checks (which require you to be next to the tank) improves your life, this is a worthwhile product.

That is only half of my issue with it though.

This product retails for $49.99. A brand new 20# propane tank costs ~$30. Just keep a full tank as a backup, and your problem is solved.

It isn't a fun solution, but sometimes improving your life is pretty simple ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No comments:

Post a Comment