Sunday, July 13, 2014

Project 1: The Coffee Pot

I do not drink coffee. I don't like it black and feel silly loading it up with cream and sugar. Even a tea man such as myself can see flaws in the coffee pot feature set though.

Programmable brewing is nice... But what if I don't get up at the same time every day? What if the power goes out and resets the clock? What if I forget to put water in it? What if I forget to turn it off?
So what are we looking at?
Market Research: Browsing coffee pots in Walmart a year ago.

Side note: There may be realized solutions on the shelf today that do not void a warranty. However, keep in mind that the primary motive of this and future projects is not altruism, but a selfish desire to increase my utility as an embedded system designer.

Base Goals:
-Remote Start
-Activity Sense On/Off
-Clock that retains setting through power outage
-Indication for lack of water/grounds
-Brew Complete Buzzer

Stretch Goals:
-Web Interface
-Brew Temp Control

The setup I have in mind right now will use a couple of MSP430s to setup a ZigBee network, consisting of a remote that will control the coffee pot, and a controller I can keep next to my bed. The controller will be expandable so I can add future home automation devices to it (you know, in case I want to open the garage while I'm in bed... Or something)

NEXT TIME: opening up the $10 coffee pot I bough at Walmart. Complete with #gutshots!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment